In the never ending search for tools to make social media management simpler, I decided to research several tools that help you update multiple social media networks in one place. In this post, I wanted to share my findings for others who are also in the process of choosing a social media publishing tool for their business.
Want to learn how to effectively promote your content? Sign up for the waitlist for my new premium training on content promotion!
Social Media Tools Compared
The following are the social media tools for scheduling and publishing updates that I chose to research.
As a disclaimer, I am an affiliate for some of the above mentioned tools since I have used them for my own social media marketing campaigns or for clients and therefore highly recommend them.
Social Media Tools Comparison Chart
Here’s what I found as far as pricing, features, and social networks supported for each of the above mentioned social media tools.
Please note that while some offer specific features, they are only offered at certain pricing plans. Also, some features may be available for specific platforms but are not noted in the chart because the details were hard to find on their website.
Click the image below for a larger view. Pricing is USD.
- IFTTT and Zapier are not social media management tools. They do have features that allow you to automate publishing updates to specified social media networks.
- MassPlanner is the only tool that I’ve found thus far that will allow you to schedule updates to Google+ Profiles and Communities. But it’s a desktop-based tool for Windows. Mac users will need Parallels for Mac or a Windows virtual machine. You also have to have this software online and running when posts are scheduled to be sent.
- Sendible can publish to a lot of additional channels not listed in this chart.
I’ve been a longtime user of Buffer, HootSuite, IFTTT, Oktopost, and Post Planner. The latter is not included in the chart because it only works with Facebook, but it’s still an awesome tool that I use on a daily basis for updating my Facebook page.
I use an IFTTT recipe to automatically send all of the posts I save in Feedly to Buffer to be tweeted out at a later time. I use HootSuite for Twitter engagement and real-time keyword monitoring. I use Oktopost to create campaigns for my latest posts that I want to promote to as many social media profiles, pages, and groups that I can. I recently added Mass Planner to the list simply because it can schedule posts to my Google+ profile and communities.
Additional Usage Notes
- Every Facebook group, Google+ community, and LinkedIn group has their own rules. Some do not allow you to post links. Be sure to review each group’s rules before you add them to these social media scheduling and publishing tools. When you do find groups that allow members to share links, make sure your links are 100% relevant to the group topic.
- When you publish to multiple public Facebook groups, it will show up in people’s news feed. When you publish to groups that your friends are members of, it might also notify them that you’ve posted to a dozen or so groups. In other words, publishing to multiple groups on Facebook could make you look like a spammer. You might want to consider spreading out your Facebook groups promotion across several days.
- When you publish to public Google+ communities, it shows up on your Google+ profile by default. Go to your Google+ settings and uncheck the box under the Profile section to “Show your Google+ communities posts on the Posts tab of your Google+ profile.”
- Several tools allow you to automatically schedule and publish updates from RSS feeds. Choose your feeds carefully as you don’t want to over inundate your audience or end up sharing content that isn’t great or relevant to your audience.
If you’ve used one of the above-mentioned tools, I’d love to hear from you! What are the pros, cons, and frustrations of each! And if you know of any other good tools that weren’t mentioned here, please include them in the comments.