A few weeks ago, I noticed that Aweber charged me a little more than usual. It had been awhile since I had worked on my mailing list, and I pleasantly thought that I had a growth in subscribers.
Unfortunately, that was not the case.
When I logged in to Aweber to start a mailing list for my new freelance blogging site, I was surprised to see this.
Over half of my list was unsubscribed!
If I had just recently sent an offensive email to my list, I would have understood. But I at the time of this discovery, I hadn’t used it in months. Sad, I know, but that’s not the point of this post.
So I used the Search Subscribers features to see just those who unsubscribed.
And I found this…