This post is part of a weekly series, Fetching Friday, featuring the resources mashup, Blog World Expo Poll, Akismet commentary, and what’s new on kikolani.com.
The Resources Mashup
Blogging / Writing
- Guest blogging contest – the biggest cash contest in blogging history is now open to new and experienced bloggers. Enter today!
- 8 legal issues for bloggers: part one and part two – good to know.
- How to create your own blogging continuing education plan – if you want to stay on top of your blogging game, you must continue to learn.
- How to get more comments on your blog posts – if no one’s talking on your blog, you may need to try these tips.
- Why you shouldn’t blog – if you don’t have these things, you probalby shouldn’t be blogging.
Business / Career / Finance
- 7 brand building tips for you b2b blog – if you have trouble making your b2 blog standout, try these tips.
- Are you afraid to care deeply at work? Do you (or should you) put yourself fully into your work?
- 7 ways to generate buzz for your business – great ways to get people talking about you on blogs and social media.
- The #1 habit of highly effective business owners – if you do this, you are almost certain to succeed in any endeavor.
- 9 expert tips for small business SEO – good tips for small businesses that can be applied to any website’s SEO plan.
- An experiment in platform exclusive content – metrics from a free ebook available on Facebook only.
- 35 impressive Facebook fan page profile pictures – great ways to utilize your 200px by 600px space on your page.
- How to customize your fan page using static FBML – a good beginners guide to FBML plus useful ways to utilize it.
- 11 ways to promote your Facebook page outside of Facebook – great ideas to try if you want more fans!
- 31 Facebook applications to enhance your fan page – great roundup!
Humor / Infographics / Inspiration
- 45 mobile web designs to show future trends – great designs to view on your smartphones.
- How to design your business card – tips and examples.
- HTML 5 showcase – 48 potential flash-killing demos that are hopefully more SEO advanced than Flash as well as mobile friendly.
- 55 beautifully made single page designs – learn how to make your web precense amazing with just one page.
- History of RickRolling – I’m sorry I missed this infographic last week, but it’s too amusing to leave out.
- Link building with press release optimization – does it really work?
- Link building tools interview with Taylor Pratt of Raven SEO – great response to dofollow vs. nofollow.
- Link building with bloggers and the meaning of relationships – aka, how link builders can entice bloggers the right way.
- Differences in opinion on quality links – covers traffic, PageRank, incoming links, images, spammy links, and more.
- SMX Advanced 2010: Show me the links presentation – click on replay to see commentary on one of the best link building sessions at SMX.
Making Money Online / Online Marketing
- Are you being seduced into affiliate marketing? Or should you focus on affiliate marking vs. creating your own product.
- The secret behind successful PPC advertising – I’m not that familiar with PPC, but these guys are the gurus of conversions, so it will be a good read for those using pay per click.
- What I want you to learn from me – the best articles on how to make money online.
- Donate buttons – do they work?
- Complete guide to blog advertising – everything you need to know including site examples that show how to do it beautifully.
Personal Development / Self Improvement
- 21 things my dog taught me about being a better man – a very moving blog post.
- The best productivity system – try out these tools and create a system that helps boost your productivity + 6 rules of productivity to live by.
- Do you see blessings in challenges? A better way to look at the obstacles that you encounter.
- Who would you be without life’s struggles? How they build character and teach you important life lessons.
- Opportunity is everywhere – how to create opportunity by creating value.
Photography / Digital Art
- Top 10 photo fixing and image editing tricks HDR, tilt shift, and more.
- 33 amazing examples of monochromatic photography – making black and white look beautiful!
- 40 beautiful examples of car photography – these photos could make any car look good.
- 40 real time saver Photoshop actions – free downloads for cool effects.
- Splendid examples of conceptual arhictecture – I would love to live in some of these rooms.
Search Engines / SEO / Analytics
- Client feedback exercise to kick off a SEO project – great way to get to know your client and their goals.
- The blog post SEO checklist – 5 things to make sure you include in each blog post for search optimization.
- How a three month old site gets massive Google traffic – how to get traffic from Google News, mini-sites, Youtube videos, and more.
- SEO hacking – hacking for links and how to make sure your site doesn’t fall victim.
- 18 must read SMX advanced highlights – a great selection of beyond the basic tips for SEO, link building, and search engine news.
- How to use social media for crisis management – my first post for Social Media Examiner on one important way businesses should use social media.
- How to set social media goals – if you have no plan, here’s how to gets started.
- Is social media dangerous for your brain? I would say so, in some cases.
- 10 golden rules of social bookmarking – what you need to do to become a power user on any social bookmarking network.
- Online profiles can make or break your social networking success – how to utilize particular elements on your profile to capture the right kind of attention.
Tech / Tools / Tips
- What is the difference between viruses, trojans, worms, and other malware – just what you need to know to figure out what is going on with your PC.
- Stream your social networks from a single location with Vinehub – looks promising, but so far only handles Twitter and Facebook – Myspace + LinkedIn coming soon, plus Google Buzz integration.
- 25 Safari extentions you can install now for Apple’s new Safari 5 – I’m a Chrome user, but these will come in handy for my hubby’s Mac.
- iPad essential business tools – RSS reader app comparison.
- Open letter to business owners to embrace Twitter now – 9 ways and reasons to use Twitter for business.
- 20 resources to display Twitter on your website – go beyond just an icon with these ideas.
- Huge collection of Twitter applications for business and social sharing, search, analytics, monitoring + monetizing, maps, polls, translators + RSS feeds, and mashups + visualizers. This was a series started in May, and includes over 500 Twitter apps. A must see!
- Is Twitter going to kill URL shorteners? Personally, I’m a bit.ly fan all the way.
- Twitter de-addiction camp – 6 steps to get yourself unhooked from Twitter.
- Ways to optimize your WordPress RSS feeds – simple tips for images, videos, and more.
- 10 useful WordPress plugins for multi-author blogs – great ways to manage multiple site authors and contributors.
- Top 10 WordPress theme tweaks – with tips on how to implement the in WordPress 3.0.
- WordPress from Kubrick to Twenty Ten – a quick look at WordPress basic themes from the start to 3.0
- 25+ extremely useful tricks for the WordPress functions file – you will certainly find at least one good trick for your WordPress install here.
Blog World Expo 2010
This year, I plan on attending the Blog World Expo in Las Vegas on October 14 – 16th. Assuming nothing crazy happens in the in-between, I should definitely be there for Friday and Saturday – Thursday is still up in the air.
I wanted to take a quick poll to see if any of you, my readers, will be there as well. It will be open until June 15th!
Also, be sure to let me know in the comments if you are a maybe or definitely coming!
What’s New on Kikolani
This week, I have added a new mailing list option, which you can see near the top of the sidebar. Instead of a free ebook, I wanted to offer something a little more personalized. If you sign up for the mailing list, you will get a free quick review of your website, blog, or social media profile. I’ll let you know if I see anything that could be improved in terms of design, functionality, or optmization.
Why a mailing list? As many of you know, I write about a lot more than just blogging on a variety of sites (including Search Engine Journal, Famous Bloggers, Social Media Examiner, etc.) and I want to take all of that information and compile it in one place and make it useful to the bloggers and social media enthusiasts that read Kikolani.
As you know, most mailing lists are also an avenue to promote products for affiliate marketing. Yes, I do some affiliate marketing, but you can be sure that any product I share with you will be something that I fully believe will be beneficial to you – not just something that will make me a little commission and good luck to you to figure it out.
So if this sounds good to you, be sure to scroll up and subscribe today!
Are You Missing Comments?
There is some great discussion that has developed about how Akismet is blocking commenters that you may want on your site. There is one setting in particular on Akismet that you may have turned on in the beginning that you may want to reconsider.
If you have a self-hosted WordPress blog, check your Akismet Configuration and make sure the “Automatically discard spam comments on posts older than a month” is unchecked. Otherwise, any comments from those readers who normally fall into the spam filter will be deleted before you ever see them if they comment on posts that are over 30 days old. I don’t know about you, but I have some regular commenters that have wound up in the spam filter consistently. If you have this box checked, you will never see them.
If you have a WordPress.com blog, check under Settings > Discussion, and make sure the “Don’t discard spam on old posts” is checked for the same reason as above.
Also, please take some serious consideration into what you mark as spam. Certainly it is a personal decision, but remember that what you may consider spam, others may not. If you’re uncertain, just delete the comment.
Most Exciting Movie Teaser Ever
Want to be featured in Fetching Friday posts?
Looking for some link love? Articles featured in the resources come primarily from people I interact with in the comments, and on the social networks. So comment away (DoFollow, CommentLuv, and KeywordLuv enabled), and join me on the networks below, and if your article/photo/video catches my eye, it may appear in following Fetching Friday posts.