This post is part of a weekly series, Fetching Friday, featuring the resources mashup, #FollowFriday recommendations, a bit about WordPress security, news about the wedding pictures, and previews for next weekâ€™s posts on kikolani.com.
The Resources Mashup
Here are some of the best articles I have stumbledupon this week.
- Google Webmaster Tools gets a makeover.
- Thoughts on how often to publish on your blog
- How to not leave idiotic comments
- Making yourself identifiable in the blogging community
- 6 useful FeedBurner features that are often ignored
- Custom field hacks for WordPress
- It’s all about you
- Twitter service to tweet subscribers whenever you publish a post
- 25 unique uses of WordPress as a CMS
- Comment moderation etiquette
- 101 sociable links for manual insertion in WordPress
- 10 ways to show kindness online
- 27 Twitter tools to help you find and manage followers
- How to simplify your social media routine
- Why StumbleUpon makes a difference
- Tracking Re-Tweets with URL shortener services
- Anatomy of a viral Re-Tweet
Business and Personal Development
- Entrepreneurship doesnâ€™t have to be about the next big thing
- Are you earning a passion paycheck?
- Getting something for free
- How important is self-confidence?
Last, but not Least
- Clean up your sluggish Mac
- Really talking to your kids
- To Grandma on the eve of her 100th birthday
- Atlantis’ launch infrared photo
Last weekend, I experienced my first site hack – a PHP script injection exploit. Simply put, a malicious piece of PHP script was placed onto many files of my WordPress installation. Here are some more useful resources on preventing such an event on your own WordPress site.
- WordPress Exploits
- How to stop your WordPress blog from getting hacked
- 18 WordPress security plugins and tips to secure your blog
- 10 easy ways to secure your WordPress blog
#FollowFriday Recommendations on Twitter
Although I still notice the trend is in full force as always, it has now split between #followfriday and simply Follow Friday. Also, there have been articles on how Twitter killed #FollowFriday with the recent changes to the way replies work, leading to the #fixreplies backlash and an apology. So here are my #followfriday recommendations.
- @Vered blogger at Mom Grind
- @BWelford of Strategic Marketing Montreal
- @ExtremeEzine of aptly named Extreme Ezine
- @SharonMCP, one of the most influential women in social media
One more shout to last week’s recommendations: @nutuba, @SandraFoyt, @JoeTech, and @Websitewriters.
Also, if you enjoy this post and my tweets on blogging, social media, photography, and more, be sure to give me a shout out as follows:
RT @kikolani Fetching Friday Resources, #FollowFriday recs, WordPress Security Tips, Amazing Animations > http://bit.ly/Yflb0
This past Monday, we received our wedding pictures, which turned out amazing. So this week, behind the scenes, I have been putting together the wedding website, which
should be unveiled over the weekend or early next week. If I have enough time this evening, I may even it out on the one year anniversary of the day we first met. is online at SoulmatesWedding.com.
Preview for the week of 18 May 2009
In continuation of the scenic pictures from the honeymoon, next week will feature the flowers of California. These beauties rival the blossoms of the cacti and flowers from Desert Botanical Gardens.
Speaking of one year anniversaries, May is also the one year anniversary of Kikolani.com. So next week, I will do a year in review – past, present, and future outlook and plans for this site and more.
Simply Amazing Animations
Here are some amazing videos and animations using high speed photography. I hope you enjoy on this TGIF!
The North Wind Blew South from Keith Loutit on Vimeo.
Beached from Keith Loutit on Vimeo.
I-Movix SprintCam v3 NAB 2009 showreel from David Coiffier on Vimeo.
Want to be featured in Fetching Friday posts?
Looking for some link love? Articles featured in the resources come primarily from people I interact with in the comments, and on the social networks. So comment away (DoFollow, CommentLuv, and KeywordLuv enabled), and join me on the networks below, and if your article/photo/video catches my eye, it may appear in following Fetching Friday posts.