This post is part of a weekly series, Fetching Friday, featuring the best posts of the week in blogging, business, freelancing, SEO, and social media on kikolani.com.
The Resources Mashup
Blogging / Writing
- 10 Free Tools Every Business Blogger Should Bookmark – Explore the free tools out there that will help you be better at business blogging and content creation.
- Facebook For WordPress: All The Juicy Details And How To Install It – Facebook for WordPress Plugin is the easiest and most complete method of integrating Facebook into your blog and the new cross-platform features.
- Are You Just Another Dumb Blogger? Fox News interviewed a few attendees and exhibitors at the event, then they put together a fun little sketch for the show. Instead of focusing on the benefits of what BlogWorld has accomplished over the years, and the potential in making a side income and business through internet marketing and blogging, they decided to â€œspinâ€ the story in a slightly different direction.
- 7 Ways to Increase Your Blog Visibility With Social Sharing – How to make your content more shareable and drive traffic to your blog.
- Why News-Style WordPress Themes Are a Bad Idea for Some Bloggers – As bloggers, the theme we use plays a huge role in our brand. It changes the way people perceive you. It changes the way people interact with your content.
Business / Career
- Getting Your Employees Together â€“ What Works, What Doesnâ€™t – A look at common office activities from the perspective of an introverted employee.
- 8 Great Examples of Personal Domain Names in Action – After seeing some of the examples below I think you will agree that using your FirstNameLastName.com or a variation to â€œbrand yourselfâ€ with an online calling card should definitely at the top of your to do list.
- The Right Way To Use Groupon And Living Social For Your Business – The main goal of Groupon and Living Social is to provide mass exposure for your business and hopefully establish some new repeat customers. But the problem with most businesses is that they donâ€™t realize this fact when they jump in bed with a mass couponing service.
- 4 Ways to Create Content That Sells – How to create blog content that increases sales. Learn how to teach with story and sell with subtleness.
- 5 Psychological Master Keys That Will Open The Doors to More Sales – How great would it feel if you made five simple tweaks to your business, and saw an immediate sales increase?
- The 13 Business Bloggers All Freelance Writers Should Read to Earn More – Here is a list of the inspiring, useful business bloggers whose advice helps me make my business better. These bloggers cover a range of topics, from blog design to Internet marketing to social media and more.
- 7 Ways to Use Your Blog to Attract New Freelance Clients – Your blog can be a powerful tool for attracting and signing new clients for your freelance business. Like every part of your marketing, it pays to invest the time needed to publish a blog that shows your skills in the best possible light.
- The Five Stages of Working with Freelance Clients – As a freelancer, itâ€™s important to understand each of these relationship stages so that you can avoid address the challenges that arise in each stage. Your client relationships are key to your success as a freelancer.
- How to Write a Letter of Introduction That Will Impress Editors and Get You More Freelance Writing Gigs – I get a lot of questions about LOIs, so I decided to create this primer on one of the most valuable marketing tools in a freelance writerâ€™s arsenal.
- Donâ€™t Be a One Trick Pony – You canâ€™t just be a writer or a photographer for a living anymoreâ€”you have to have some sort of working knowledge of many different skills, like blogging, crafting a press release, social media marketing, long-form writing, Photoshop. Every little bit helps. Especially when you are a freelancer.
Personal Development / Productivity
- The 5 Most Common Mistakes Productive People Make – Robert Chen lists off the 5 most common mistakes that productive people make. How many of them do you make yourself?
- 9 Powerful Life Lessons from Studying with a Monk – During my time studying with a monk, I healed myself of anxiety and stomach problems and learned 9 powerful life lessons.
- How to Put Your Intuition into Practice – What is Intuition and how to decide intuitively: A book review and interview with Angela Artemis on The Intuition Principle.
- The Need to Zoom Out and Get Some Perspective – Is what you are doing today going to matter down the road? Is what you are working on truly important in the big scheme of things? We often get so focused on our current tasks, that we lose sight of where we are and where we are going.
- 10 Feel Good Thoughts for a Bad Day – What words might I post on this blog to inspire them, and to remind them that, even on the toughest of days, our hearts all beat for these same things?
Search Engines / SEO
- A Look at the Changes from Google Places to Google+ Local – If you are a local business owner or marketer, you need to know about the changes Google has made from Google Places to Google+ Local Pages.
- How Much Do Social Signals Play Into Google Rankings? If there’s been one thing that tends to get me going, it’s when people in the industry start talking about social signals. In particular, Google using them as a ranking factor. Is this truly the case? Or do a lot of folks have it wrong? Or is the answer a bit more complex?
- Identifying Link Penalties in 2012 – Site owners often are not immediately aware they have been penalized. They notice a drop in traffic or rankings, then begin to investigate the issue. So how do you really know if your site has been penalized? Once you know you have been penalized, how can you figure out the cause and fix it?
- 14 Free Traffic Strategies for 2012 that DONâ€™T Depend on Google – The Google Penguin Update has killed many affiliate websites. Now, many marketers wonder how to get more web traffic. This post details 14 proven free traffic generation strategies that avoid relying on search engines.
- 10 Ways to Use Images for Link Building – The great thing about using images for marketing is that itâ€™s one of the most efficient ways to build brand recognition and acquire natural mentions/links to a website, seeing that it can easily stimulate interest to its audience (particularly if the image is really compelling and/or visually appealing), and is very easy to disseminate.
Social Media / Social Networking
- How To Use The 15 Facebook Ad Targeting Options – Letâ€™s review all of the targeting criteria available to us when creating a Facebook ad. This is an important step in understanding how to make Facebook ads work for our businesses.
- A Simple Cheat Sheet for Using Pinterest for Marketing – Reference this cheat sheet for Pinterest marketing to ensure you don’t make and serious faux pas on the visual social network.
- URL Shorteners and Analytics: Which Ones Deliver Results? A closer look at three of the best URL shortener services and how their analytics compare.
- Do You Have a Long-Term Social Media Marketing Plan? Letâ€™s take a closer look at how some social media campaigns have created entirely new spinoffs that help reinforce the brandâ€™s message over the long term â€“ and what you can learn from their success.
- The 5 Ways You Stink At LinkedIn – If you do any of these five things, you might want to re-consider your LinkedIn strategy.
I’ve Got a Baby Blogger on Board!
For those who missed my big announcement yesterday on Facebook and Twitter, I’m happy to report that one of our biggest goals for 2012 has been achieved. My husband Jason Hines and I are expecting our first bundle of joy this December.
One of the questions that came up in the comments a few times was whether there would be a related blog. The answer: of course! I have always had a little personal blog that I have updated off and on since 2008. And now, I plan to gear it in the direction of a mommy blog.
Be warned: there might be some TMI posts in regards to the joys of pregnancy and the things to come. But there will also be stories of my journey to motherhood plus some product reviews of things I have been using along the way. It’s amazing how many new things I’ve learned in a short amount of time!
Photo of the Week
This weekâ€™s top photo comes from Yosemite National Park. A small waterfall along the trail to Mirror Lake created some interesting foamy swirls.
Does the idea of owning your own hovercat make you want to adopt?