This post is part of a weekly series, Fetching Friday, featuring the resources mashup, great deals for bloggers on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and a video to get you in the mood for Black Friday craziness on kikolani.com.
The Resources Mashup
Blogging / Writing
- How to find yourself on a blog – five ways to develop a unique voice.
- 11 Tips for writing a 15 minute article – helpful for times when you’re having writer’s block, or just need to get an article going quickly.
- How my article on quitting Foursquare caused a blog traffic spike – a look at analytics and referrals when you get a post that goes viral.
- How to make your blog posts go viral – from research and headlines to promotion.
- Using blogging stats for inspiration – how to get blogging ideas outside of the box.
- The future of Facebook email and the social inbox – thoughts on a unified messaging system.
- 8 reasons Facebook page owners should avoid claiming a place – read this before agreeing to merge.
- New Facebook wall insights calculate your reach – for pages at least (would be nice for personal profiles).
- Google and the rise of Facebook – how Facebook could take over particular Google services.
- Valuing Facebook Ads – are marketers still trying to figure out just how much they are worth?
- TSA Gone Wild – the history of airline security.
- Your Thanksgiving meal in calories – just how much did you consume yesterday? Find out!
- Cash connections – who invested in social media?
- What is data visualization? 3 infographics to explain infographics.
- Facts about struggling countries around the world – some downright distrurbing facts about struggling countries.
Keyword Research / Link Building
- Should we stop focusing on keyword driven anchors – should we change our approach to link building?
- 7 keyword suggest tools beyond Google – tools to help you come up with varied anchor text.
- The redeeming qualities of links with a bad reputation – the good side to link building via blog comments, directories, and non-keyword anchor text.
- Extract your competitor’s keyword strategy – a great trick for Excel that can be expanded into other data extraction like job titles, locations, and more.
- 4 link building success stories – the results of two different approaches in link building.
Making Money Online / Online Marketing
- Your landing page sucks – 10 examples of landing pages that don’t suck by one of the conversion experts speaking at the online only Landing Page Success Seminar starting November 30th.
- 6 tips for post conversion behavior – you’ve converted, now what?
- How to grow, manage, and optimize your Internet empire – a great guide to on day-to-day-operations, finances, security, privacy, and productivity secrets.
- 6 steps to more blog coverage – good ways to have your business, website, or product featured by bloggers.
- 9 marketing tips for Black Friday, small business Saturday, and Cyber Monday – want to make some sales? Check out these tips!
Personal Development / Productivity
- 7 awesome videos to remind you of gratitude this Thanksgiving – great inspiration for any time of the year.
- The subtle comfort of the discomfort zone – analyzing the areas of discomfort in your life and how to stretch yourself.
- 20 thankfulness and gratitude quotes for Thanksgiving – even though it’s a day later, it never hurts to feel thankful.
- 7 ways to look at money differently – how we are conditioned, how to avoid the emotional rollercoaster, and 7 ways to change your perception of your finances.
- Power tips for when travel plans go awry – what to do in 9 worst case scenarios.
Search Engines / SEO / Analytics
- 99 free and low cost tools to improve your website – tools to help you with analytics, conversions, SEO, and more.
- SEO advice for boostrapped startups – 8 tips and advice from the experts on how and what to rank for.
- What would google do? A look at the past 12 months of Google changes in local, mobile, and social search as well as integrated search results and search speed.
- Segmenting social traffic in Google Analytics – a guide to learning more about your social media referrers.
- Google Instant previews – how SERP will change with user click satisfaction based on previews.
Social Media / Social Networking
- 7 secrets of social media conversion – infographic plus all of the juicy details.
- Top 10 LinkedIn business marketing tips – how to bring sexy back to professional networking.
- 10 cures for your social media pains – 10 ways to solve some common social media issues.
- Revenge of the social media nerds – how social media users have your back, for better or worse.
- The true ROI of social media – what is the return on creating and strengthening a relationship and how to measure it.
- 10 reasons to have a social media response triage flowchart – why you should be prepared before you encounter any feedback online.
- 100 marketers you must follow on Twitter – huge list of great marketing experts to follow on Twitter!
- How to create a useful Twitter archive – a look at using Google Reader, TwapperKepper, and WordPress for tweet archiving.
- Grow your Twitter following through guest blogging – three ways to get more followers when guest posting.
- Twitter content that doesn’t suck – five tips for making a good impression with every tweet.
- Twitter’s plans – location based advertising, Ping integration, reputation scores, analytics, and filtering.
- 7 WordPress plugins to interlink blog content with ease – internal linking is great for SEO and keeping visitors on your site, so consider these!
- 13 popular cloned themes for WordPress – want your site to look like Facebook, Twitter, or even the BBC? Check these out!
- WordPress 3.1 Beta 1 available for developers and testing.
- How to add comment ratings to your comments – empwer your readers and let them moderate comments for you.
- WPJobBoard – WordPress plugin to integrate a job board on your WordPress site.
Black Friday Sales, Deals, and Discounts
Who needs to go to the stores at 5am in the morning when some of the best deals for bloggers are online? Here are some of the great sales, deals, and discount codes, which I will update throughout the day if I find new ones.
Note: This sale has expired. Check the Cyber Monday section below for a new offer.
Hostgator is offering a huge sale on their services. From 12AM – 5AM CST, they are offering 50% off. From 5AM to 9AM CST, they are offering 80% off of a select number of accounts. Then from 9AM to 11:59PM CST, they will continue the 50% off. Services include shared hosting, reseller hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated server hosting accounts all term lengths (so you can get 80% off of one month or 50% off of 3 years of service). So if you were looking to start a new website or move to a new host, now is the time!
Lots of great deals on premium WordPress themes, including:
- StudioPress is offering 25% off of their themes with the discount code BLACK. StudioPress is home to the new Genesis framework used by Chris Brogan, Copyblogger, and ProBlogger. You have 30 days to request a refund if you are not satisfied with your purchase. This deal is good through November 29th, and will be the last discount code offered for their themes.
- Woo Themes is offering multiple discounts including 20% off a 5 for 1 theme package using the discount code BLACKPACKAGE and 40% off of the initial fee for theme club subscriptions (a savings of $50 for a standard subscription and $80 off of a developer subscription). The discount is valid until midnight November 29th.
- Note: This discount has expired.
Headway Themes is offering 50% off their framework with the discount code BLACKFRIDAY, a savings of $43! You have 30 days to request a refund if you are not satisfied with your purchase, as noted in the Terms of Service.
- Solostream Themes is offering a 67% discount when you buy 3 or more themes with the discount code blackfriday, a minimum savings of $158. All sales are final, so be sure that you get what you want! The discount is valid until November 30th.
Note: This sale has expired. I would still recommend the two plugins listed below to buy individually though!
MaxBlogPress is offering a Black Friday discount of 70% off their top five products, including:
- Ninja Affiliate – the must have plugin for anyone incorporating affiliate products in their blog. It makes turning ugly afifliate links to better looking domain links, automatically converts text in posts to affiliate links, and keeps track of the click through of each link. Regularly $97.
- Subscriber Magnet – An alternative to popup opt-in forms, this plugin allows you to add opt-in forms to your sidebar, beginning or end of posts, or as a checkbox on your comment form. Regularly $147.
The total Black Friday discounted price for all five of their products is $137, which includes the above recommended plugins plus WordPress Wizard (50 step by step tutorials on creating a profitable blog, regularly $97), $365K Blog Traffic Formula (regularly $37), and Daily Traffic Blueprint (regularly $97). So even if you want just the two plugins above, it’s still a savings of $107 plus you’ll get the extra goodies. And if you’re interested in all of their products, it’s a savings of $338! The sale ends 11:59PM EST – definitely don’t miss it!
On My List
So what am I getting this Black Friday? I have pretty much everything listed above, except for the Subscriber Magnet which is going into my shopping cart because I want the checkbox for opt-ins on my comment form. Also, I’ll be doing some Amazon shopping for…
- Kodak PlaySport HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera, on sale for $40 off, so I can start shooting some video and take it with me to Australia next year!
- Microsoft Office 2010 , on sale for $50 off. I have been opting for Open Office for awhile, but now that I discovered Word has a nifty PDF conversion add-in that maintains document features (bookmark links being the main one), it’s a must have for the ebook that I’m working on.
Cyber Monday Sales, Deals, and Discounts
The fun doesn’t stop on Black Friday. Here are some deals for Cyber Monday only!
The Income Blogging Guide is offering 50% off of their course for 24 hours, a total savings of $300. I have almost completed the course, and it has really helped me in the development of my own product which I will be launching soon. I highly recommend this course – you can read my review here. You get some great bonuses (like a free Headway or Flexx theme, or Thesis for only $40), and you have 60 days to try out the course – if it’s not right for you, you will get a full refund of the first two months. This promotion is Monday only, November 29th from 12:00AM – 11:59PM EST.
Thanks to the huge success of the Black Friday promotion, Hostgator is offering 50% off hosting accounts using the discount code CYBERMONDAY2010. This will apply to the client’s first invoice (first term length they sign up for whether that be 1 month or for 3 years for shared and reseller hosting plans, and for the first month only on VPS and dedicated servers) including Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting AND even Dedicated Servers! This promotion is Monday only, November 29th from 12:00AM – 11:59PM CST.
Finally, not specific to Black Friday or Cyber Monday, Darren Rowse if offering 25% off of his ebooks – The Copywriting Scorecard for Bloggers (review) and 31 Days to Build a Better Blog (review) through the end of November using the discount code november25.
Black Friday at Mega Mart
Just a little something to get you “in the mood” for Black Friday, care of Saturday Night Live. Slide into savings!