This post is part of a weekly series, Fetching Friday, featuring the best posts of the week in blogging, business, freelancing, SEO, and social media on kikolani.com.
The Resources Mashup
Here are some of the best articles I have seen on Google+, retweeted on @kikolani, and read in RSS subscriptions this week. Also, if you’re preparing to go to PubCon this month, be sure to get business cards and print brochures online in enough time to get them shipped to you!
Blogging / Content
- 50 Essential Tools I Use For Blogging and Freelance Writing – As a freelance writer and professional blogger, it is essential to have a reliable arsenal of tools that allow you to promote your blog and manage your business. Here are 50 to help you with marketing, social media, promotion, productivity, and financial management.
- Why Big Content Is Worth the Risk – I’m obsessed with “Big Content” lately – resources that go beyond our narrow bins of blog posts, videos, and infographics. I’m going to show you how that obsession is paying off, and why building real content is easier than you think.
- Using Breaking News as a Creative Advantage – You’re likely unexpectedly bumping into killer ideas every day when you catch up on your news, favorite blogs, or other media. Learning to cultivate and research your daily media intake is a great method for brainstorming.
- The WordPress Website Owner’s Emergency Checklist – Free download: An easy way to keep all of your important site information in a single, handy spot.
- 10 Words Every Successful Blogger Needs to Know – Here are ten essential words you should consider constantly as a blogger, as they reflect the values you need in order to succeed.
Business / Career
- Why Starting A Business Can Be A Lonely Path And What You Can Do About It – The hardest part about running our online store was overcoming the loneliness of the entire process.
- The 10 Secrets That Make Networking Easy, Fun and Ridiculously Effective – After ten years of being an entrepreneur, I’ve learned a thing or two about networking… One of the most important things I learned is that networking is a lifestyle. It needs to be worked into your DNA so that you are networking at all times…effortlessly and happily.
- Author Rank: Dominate The Search Engines And Become An Authority In Your Niche – Google’s idea of Author Rank will encourage content creators a lot. If you’re a creator of awesome content, you can “claim” all of your content over the internet to be yours.
- Don’t Panic – Email Marketing is Alive and Well [Infographic] – Email marketing isn’t going anywhere, well, except to a landing page. Every CTA in your email needs to go to a targeted landing page matching it.
- 7 Reasons Why Blogging is Failing to Generate Leads For So Many Marketing Agencies – A surprising number of marketing/agency blogs fail to generate business for marketers. So the question is why??
- How I Repeatedly Get High Paying Freelance Writing Clients Without Sending a Single Pitch – I’ve worked with over 10 clients in the past 2 years that all came to me on their own; I’m currently working with 6, and not only do I believe that you can build a solid freelance writing career without sending out pitches. I also believe it is the best way to go about it.
- 8 Practical Ways New, Inexperienced Freelance Writers Can Get Clients – Finding it difficult to get clients? Here are 8 practical ways to go about it!
- 5 Pricing Tips to Earn More on Client Projects – Bundling your price and giving discounts the right way are two of the tips discussed in this article about pricing techniques for project work.
- 10 Quick Tips to Improve Your Invoicing – Here are some tips for how to make getting paid a little less painful.
- How to Handle Price Objections – A solution to get those complainers over the fact that you have a price that is “high” and get them to not only accept your high price points, but also feel good about handing over their money to you.
Search Engines / SEO
- A Crystal Clear Explanation of How Social Media Influences SEO – How social context is playing a role in SEO and how marketers can adjust their strategies to match the changing character of search.
- 9 Google Analytics Advanced Segments You Can’t Live Without – Advanced segments basically function as filters. They allow you to focus on specific types of traffic for deeper analysis. GA comes with a bunch of default segments built in, you can access them by clicking the Advanced Segments button on any of the standard reports.
- The Exact Match Domain Playbook: A Guide and Best Practices for EMDs – Learn about the types of EMD’s, best practices, pros and cons of an EMD, and the real issue with them.
- Keyword Research In 15 Minutes Or Less – Keyword research is an essential task for a search related campaign. But often there is far too much effort placed into the process without sufficient return.
- Google’s Knowledge Graph: Implications for Search & SEO – The Knowledge Graph is not only transforming Google but it is paving the way to transform the approach towards SEO. Here are five metrics to help you judge your web presence and four factors to consider when creating and sharing content.
Social Media / Social Networking
- How to Better Manage Your Twitter Relationships – Discover how this Twitter management tool can quickly and effectively help you build an engaged community of influencers and brand advocates.
- Ultimate Social Media Party Foul List – 70 Party Fouls of the Social Foolish – We have all seen them or done them. The social media party fouls. We wish people followed the norm for social media engagement and building of relationships.
- Platform Counts! The Differences between Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn Writing – Even though Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter tend to get lumped into the same general category of marketing, they are actually quite different.
- All About Reddit – In this webinine, or short form webinar lasting around nine minutes, we explore Reddit, a social news sharing site with a loyal community and growing following.
- New LinkedIn Company Pages Are Finally Rolled Out to EVERYONE – Take a look at examples of the new LinkedIn Company Page design, and learn how to set up your own.
Online Baby Shower Update
It’s almost here! Just one week left until my online baby shower comes to a close with a live Google+ hangout! So be sure to join the Facebook Event Page for the latest updates plus one last piece of trivia. The winner of this question will receive a free photography print from my husband’s photography collection!
Share Your Best Blog Posts
Every week on Friday, I start a thread on the Social Media Examiner Blogging Club so members can share their favorite blog post of the week. It’s free to join, so sign up, find today’s best blog post thread, and share your proudest blogging achievement of the week!