This post is part of a weekly series, Fetching Friday, featuring the resources mashup, Search & Social Awards winners, a key takeaway from the Online Marketing Summit for businesses and bloggers, the Swagger Wagon Rap, and what’s coming up on kikolani.com.
The Resources Mashup
Blogging / Writing
- Why guest posting was not working for my blog (good tips on what to do about it)
- Complete guide to live blogging
- 2 alternative ways to show your guest posts on your own blog
- Want to be a better blogger? Become a better writer (plus a great pre-writing exercise
- Want to promote your blog on TV?
Business / Career / Finance
- Pros and cons of working from home (great read for freelancers)
- Social media in the workplace (common sense rules)
- The introvert’s guide to attending a conference
- The ultimate personal branding exercise + giving up center stage for it
- Build your business with SEO
- Facebook sells out and no nixes default landing tab option
- Roundup of 20 effective branded Facebook pages (aka, ones you want to model your pages after)
- 6 alternatives to Facebook (will you go?)
- Facebook: the big picture for small business
- Facebook and other networks caught sending user data to advertisers
Humor / Infographics / Inspiration
- What is cloud computing? Find out in this cloud computing infographic
- 70 unique 404 pages for inspiration
- 30 impressive email newsletter designs for your inspiration
- 37 beautiful vintage and retro web designs
- How to avoid perfect photo syndrome
- A site about online schooling created this infographic that tells the current state of online universities.
Making Money Online / Online Marketing
- 9 unsexy truths about making money online (great photo)
- 7 ad networks to build passive income on your website
- How to make money with your blog
- Affiliate marketing and its bad reputation
- What’s new with Google Adsense for Search
Personal Development / Self Improvement
- 7 fundamental truths about personal development
- You can’t please everyone
- 21 lessons in 21 years (great life lessons)
- 7 personality types of designers
- 7 ways to use curiosity as a personal development tool
Photography / Digital Art
- Disaster unfolds slowing in the Gulf (photos of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico)
- 21 awesome riverscape photos
- 50 beautiful examples of architecture photography
- 30 brilliant photos that look like they’re photoshopped but they’re not
- 40 free adorable animal wallpapers
Search Engines / SEO / Traffic
- How to craft the perfect meta tags (great tips for business and blogging sites)
- Why in-content links are more powerful
- Rand Fishkin of SEOMoz answers our link building tool questions in this interview
- 111 takeaways from SMX London (great tips for SEO, link building, analytics, video marketing, and much more!)
- How to increase your CTR with Google’s PPC sitelinks
- Using social media as a networking tool for your business
- 36 social media blogs everyone should read
- 10 reasons your business needs a killer social media strategy
- Keywords and social media – what you need to know
- Social media snapshot – are you just showing up or actually making an impact on social media
- How to search Google profiles (could come in quite useful for finding Google Buzz contacts)
- What is the future of niche social networking?
- 12 steps to improving your social networking presence
- 13 essential tips for landing a job on LinkedIn
- The story of Youtube in an infographic
Tools / Tips
- Kurrently – real time search engine for Twitter and Facebook combined (might also lead to questions about the privacy of Facebook status updates?)
- Favstar – enter your username to see which of your tweets have been favorited the most
- 17 free content management systems
- 5 simple Google Analytics tips you should be using
- How to effectively tweet on Android (via Tweetcaster, my favorite Droid Twitter app)
- Managing multiple Twitter accounts (a MUST READ for anyone wanting to compare TweetDeck, HootSuite, CoTweet, Pluggio, and more)
- How to write a great twitter bio
- Use Twitter your own way
- How to organize Twitter
- ComLuv Gold – CommentLuv, Dofollow, KeywordLuv, and more incorporated in one plugin (details for features coming soon)
- Ultimate guide to WordPress 3.0
- Create your social media lifestream on WordPress (and some great free themes
- A detailed look into WordPress database optimization
- 11 essential WordPress plugins to get your blog in motion plus some to speed up your blog
Search and Social Awards Update
Better late than never. The Search and Social Award winners were announced last Friday, and the top 3 Best Blog for Bloggers were:
Congrats to all of the winners and nominees in every category, and a huge thanks to everyone who voted for me!
Online Marketing Summit Phoenix
Yesterday, my coworkers and I attended the Online Marketing Summit in downtown Phoenix. We learned lots of interesting tips and strategies for online marketing.
At the very beginning, moderator Aaron Kahlow talked about AHA moments. One of my key takeaways was that traditional marketing and online marketing should be integrated so that customers can really feel the brand and get continuity through all of a brand’s advertising. This point was really demonstrated well by Katie Von Domelen from Off Madison Avenue in her presentation about the customer’s journey through a business’ web presence.
Her example was how Toyota’s new Sienna commercial on TV incorporates the same characters from the Swagger Wagon Rap on Youtube. If you go to the Sienna landing page, you see a continuation of this theme with the “Mommy Like” or “Daddy Like” caption and links to the Youtube channel for more videos and the Facebook page that also incorporates the Swagger Wagon theme. So no matter where you are looking at their brand, it is promoting the same idea.
The point to continuity? You never know where a customer will see you first – through offline ads, social media, viral videos, or on your main website. It is essential that you present the same image throughout all of your advertising mediums.
Continuity for Bloggers
The same kind of continuity should be applied for bloggers – when people go from your Twitter to Youtube to Facebook Page to blog, they should get the feeling that they are still following the same person. You don’t want them to think “Wait, is this not so and so from this blog, because there is nothing here that indicates it is the same person.” Continuity isn’t just about graphics and photos – it is can be transferred in the way you speak and conduct yourself. Just something to keep in mind!
More About OMS
To read about more the Online Marketing Summit in Phoenix, see additional key takeaways on topics such as search marketing, social media, and more on 38 key takeaways from the Online Marketing Summit plus 10 things I learned at OMS, search for the #OMSPHX hashtag, and follow OMS Phoenix speakers on my OMSPHX Twitter list. Please let me know if I’m missing someone too – I tried to find everyone on Twitter but there were a few that are missing.
Swagger Wagon Rap
My husband has been trying to get me to like minivans. He’ll be very excited to see that Toyota is trying to convince me that they are cool with this rap!