This post is the fourth in the Benefits of Blogging series, where I will cover the many benefits of blogging, for bloggers and readers.
One of the advantages some bloggers may not think about when they are promoting their blogs is the amount of SEO and internet marketing skills they are developing in the process.
What SEO & Internet Marketing Skills Do You Know?
Chances are, you have done one or more of the following for your blog:
- Considered important keywords for the title of your posts
- Installed SEO related plugins (Platinum SEO, All in One SEO Pack)
- Found people online who are interested in topics related to your blog
- Created a large audience on social networks
- Shared your posts on Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, Delicious, etc.
- Encouraged others to bookmark posts on social bookmarking networks with socialble plugins and icons (such as the ones at the end of this post)
- Commented on DoFollow blogs
- Submitted to directories
- Created a sitemap to submit to major search engines
- Installed and monitored traffic statistics, including referral sites, then used that data to re-tune your keywords or re-direct your social network focus
- Monitored the Page Rank, Alexa Rank, Yahoo backlinks, and other statistics for your blog
- Monitored the search engine rankings of your blog for various keywords
- Kept up to date with the latest in SEO, social media and internet marketing news
All of these things are important to SEO agencies and internet marketing. The above covers such skills as keyword analysis, website optimization, social media marketing, internet marketing, link building and more.
There are many bloggers who pay close attention to the basics of SEO. These same people are passionate about what they do and they need a way to measure their effectiveness.
And he even gave specific reference to this site, saying that…
Kikolani.com â€“ A blog that has an Alexa rank of 57K and a Google Pagerank 4. This blog is only 13 months old and look how well itâ€™s performing. Kristi, the owner and author of Kikolani.com will tell you she is not an SEO expert, but she is probably more capable than many of the so-called SEO experts.
What Can You Do With These Skills?
So now that you realize you do have some of these skills under your belt thanks to blogging, what can you do with them outside of marketing your blog?
If you have a business, know someone who has a business, or work for a business that could use some website promotion, use your blog as your portfolio and show how you could apply some of the above mentioned techniques to another website. Show them the value of being closer to the top of search engine results, or the amount of traffic they may gain from a bit of social networking.
With the economy in the state that it is in, small businesses especially do not have the kind of cash flow to pay some major SEO company to overhaul their website. So they would be more open to having a freelance person that they know do some optimization work with keywords, link building, traffic analysis, etc. You could even create a simple SEO report to sell.
If you’re not concerned about getting cash, consider working on a trade basis. Maybe you have always wanted to take yoga classes and know the owner of a yoga studio or a yoga instructor that could benefit from your help. If you are a good samaritan and know of a friend that is just starting out a business, you can offer to help them get a jump on their internet exposure. And if you are not really interested in helping businesses, you could simply help another blogger in gaining an greater audience for their writing.
Your SEO & Internet Marketing Experience?
Now it’s your turn. What expertise have you developed thanks to blogging, and have you been able to apply them elsewhere?