This post is part of a weekly series, Fetching Friday, featuring the resources mashup, #FollowFriday recommendations, PageRank updates & SEO stuff, and previews for next weekâ€™s posts on kikolani.com.
The Resources Mashup
Here are some of the best articles I have stumbledupon this week.
Blogging / Design
- WordPress 2.8: Upcoming Features and Enhancements
- Insert your post title in read more links easily
- WordPress theme development frameworks
- 40 exceptional cms enabling plugins for WordPress
- 36 eye-catching Jquery navigation menus
- 12 people you don’t want to meet on Facebook
- 20 Linked-In groups for freelancers
- 3 reasons I like FriendFeed
- 18 social media resources for developers
Internet / Technology / SEO
- The biggest SEO mistakes
- Website just got hacked – 3 tips to minimize downtime
- How to get indexed in Google in 48 hours
- Is Wolfram Alpha evil?
Personal Development / Growth / Self Improvement
- Why should we overcome fear?
- Exceptional articles on forgiveness, happiness, productivity, and success
- The productivity map
- 100 online brainstorming tools to help you think outside the box
- Persuade someone in 5 steps
#FollowFriday Recommendations on Twitter
Here are my #followfriday recommendations.
Also, if you enjoy this post and my tweets on blogging, social media, photography, and more, be sure to give me a shout out as follows:
RT @kikolani Fetching Friday Resources, #FollowFriday, PageRank Updates & SEO Stuff > http://bit.ly/LBKzJ
PageRank Updates & SEO Stuff
It seems that the magical PageRank updates have come around again. Kikolani has maintained the overall PR 4, and some of my articles gained PR 3 & PR 4 as well, including:
- Butterflies at the Desert Botanical Gardens – PR4
- Chihuly Glass at the Desert Botanical Gardens – PR3
- How to Make Social Promotion Easy – PR4
- Fetching Friday – Resources Mashup, #FollowFriday, Facebook Humor – PR3
Interestingly, a while back I read an article about the new rules of SEO, and one of the tips was to forget about the Meta Description – Google would grab it off of your page for you. Taking my social promotion article as an example, here is what actually happens if you have an empty Meta Description.
- When I Google How to Make Social Promotion Easy, I find that the description is pulled from the article, and says:
Here is my latest article on how to make social promotion of your articles and webpages easy to use. If you find it useful, please share it on your …
- When I search the same on Yahoo, I find:
Main Article: https://kikolani.com/how-to-make-social-promotion-easy.html … Twitter: How to make social promotion of your articles easy > http://bit.ly …
- Probably the best result is through searching Live:
While there are many ways to promote your blog articles through social networks, I have noticed an increase in messages via emails, groups, and forums formatted with options to …
In any case, none of these include useful information for the description to my article. So although the meta description doesn’t have anything to do with gaining PR, I think I will go back to including my own description, and hope that one pulls instead of some random piece of the article, which may not be that helpful in the search result listing.
Preview for the week of 25 May 2009
As always, I have saved the best scenic honeymoon photos for last. Next week, the shots from our first day at Coronado Island Beach, plus an amusing little story to go with it.
Next week, keeping on the SEO kick I am on due, I have a guest post on SEO and social media.
The Hunt for Gollum
I thought this was interesting. I was in shock when I saw something on Youtube that was longer than 10 minutes, and for an indie film, it seems quite good. Just for all of you Lord of the Rings fans, and those who wonder what an indie fantasy film with a budget of $5,000 will look like.
Want to be featured in Fetching Friday posts?
Looking for some link love? Articles featured in the resources come primarily from people I interact with in the comments, and on the social networks. So comment away (DoFollow, CommentLuv, and KeywordLuv enabled), and join me on the networks below, and if your article/photo/video catches my eye, it may appear in following Fetching Friday posts.